Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

How to Simplify Life: Is it Possible?


There are some who say that our modern life these days can't be helped--we're just destined to be busy.  While it may be true that our technologically advanced society is adept at swarming in upon us from every angle, I personally believe that busyness is a choice.

We can choose to be busy, or we can choose to live more simply.  The trick is to know your personal limits, how much you can realistically and feasibly do without becoming frenzied and frazzled.  There is no magic number of things we can take on.  It is different for every individual.  Each one of us must take an inventory of everything that has been placed on our plates, as well as the things we've opted to add ourselves.

Tomorrow I'll mention some ideas for the "how" of simplification.  But for today, believe that life can be simplified.  We may not know all the answers yet; it may take days or even months to begin and complete a personal life simplification.  But know that it is possible.

Virginia H. Pearce, in a BYU Women's Conference last year, told about a little sticky note she has on her desk.  It says, "Keep it small. Keep it simple. Give it time."  I love this.  It is a very good motto to live by.

It reminds me of one of my very favorite verses in the Book of Mormon. Alma 37:6 reads--
"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."
 As I was thinking about this verse the other night, it struck me.  This verse is not just speaking about how our little efforts can someday bring about great things.  It's also talking about life itself.  If we choose to live a small and simple life, our lives will turn out great.  And isn't this what we all desire deep down?  To leave a legacy of a life well-lived?  This can best be done by living small and simply.  This I know.


Happy Challenge:

Repeat in your mind and ponder in your heart throughout the day these words:  "Simplicity will bring me happiness.  Small and simple things will make my life great.  I can choose to simplify my life."

1 comment

  1. Another great challenge; I loved this. You are rapidly becoming one of my favorite blogs to read. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails