Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thoughts.

autumn

I have long struggled with my thoughts.  It seems as if discouragement, negativity, and doubt enter in the holes in my heart so easily.  I have found that the adversary uses every means possible to tempt us and bring us down--and this is one of the ways he succeeds so often with me.

But today is a new day, a new dawn, a new beginning.  Each day can and must be so if we are to attain the perfection our Lord requires. (see 3 Nephi 12:48).  And today I have chosen to meditate upon a verse of scripture that will empower me to press on and rise above.  And perhaps when I do this, the Savior can heal my holes, patching them up with the perfect peace only He can bestow.

The word brings us closer to Christ.  And why limit the time we feast to the small hours of the morning when we study?  Shouldn't the word be a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path?  All day long?

They can be.  And these verses we ponder, and memorize, and cling to will become "stalwart friends" filed away in our memory to call upon when we are in need of comfort or guidance or strength.

So I write out a verse on a notecard...just a simple verse from Psalms, only eight words.  It's burning into my heart just a little more each time I recite it, building my faith, filling me with the Spirit.  And tomorrow there will be a new verse to memorize and recite and draw upon.  What grace the Lord has shown me today in prompting me to begin this small and simple practice.  He knew I needed empowerment.  He knew I needed Him.

{Psalms 18:1}

1 comment

  1. You know how much I have always loved my scriptures and have always called them "my friends"? I have read and listened to Elder Scott's Conference Address again and again. It truly is how I feel about the scriptures. They are such a source of strength and peace and have especially been a source of comfort to me these past weeks. I loved the scripture you shared in Psalms as this seems to have been my motto over the past 3 weeks! Thanks for sharing! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails