Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Line Upon Line


Yesterday during my scripture study, I read a verse that has always been a favorite, but really spoke to me this time.  2 Nephi 28:30--
For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more;
And I wondered what line He would give me today, what precept He would bestow. 

Later in the day, His counsel came.  I have been struggling a bit with Little Bug who just loves Miss Muffin so much that he can't leave her alone.  He hugs her and kisses her and squeezes just a little too hard.  He just doesn't quite understand that because she is a baby he must treat her differently.  Every time he gets near, she starts to cry and I spend the next ten minutes trying to separate them, usually to no avail.

Well yesterday was no different.  I was playing referee and prayed to know what the Father would have me do.  After all, He knows more about how to reach my little ones' hearts than I could ever hope to.  The answer came.  I sat Little Bug on my lap and explained to him how he must be ever so gentle with his little sister.  This part was not new; the teaching is ingrained daily.  But this time I added that his little sister is somewhat scared of him and we role-played different ways to be gentle.  I explained that she will love him and be so excited to see him if he is soft and gentle.  He seemed to understand to the best of his 3-year-old ability.  And for the rest of the day, every time he would approach Muffin, I would utter a small reminder, "Remember to be soft so she will love you."  And he was. At least, much more than usual.

It was a line upon line, precept upon precept moment for me, and it made me realize how much the Lord cares about each and every one of our daily needs.  Last night I had the thought to pray for a specific need that I see in each of my children.  Then I pondered what the Lord would have me do.  I can testify that He answered...at least a little line and precept to try for today.  And this morning when I awoke, I thought to myself, "I wonder what line and precept Heavenly Father is going to teach me today."  I happily await the manifestation of His hand....


Happy Challenge:

*Ask the Lord to teach you a small and simple line or precept today, then write it down when it comes.
*Or pray for a specific need you or a loved one may have and wait upon the Lord to give you the line upon line answer you are seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails